Every pond is like a snowflake or a thumbprint, no two are exactly the same. But often times, these same 3 topics get overlooked or underestimated in the pond planning and designing stages.
- Low lying areas in the yard, that already collect water, can cause water to build up under your liner and push it up out of the ground.
- Underground utilities may also be a restriction – if you are in Ohio be sure to call 811 before you dig to ensure a safe construction site. Learn more about OHIO811 (OUPS) by clicking here.
- You do not want your water feature to be “out of sight, out of mind.” A pond is best located where you will be spending the majority of your leisure time.
- Being able to see your pond from inside the house will help in extending the ponding season - and allow you to keep an eye on things during winter months.
- Waterfalls leading or pointing away from your home or patio will direct the sound away - as well as creating a visual for your neighbor instead of for you.
of the first regrets of a pond owner, especially after their first build, is
“not going big enough.”
- Keep in mind; when the hole you have dug is filled in with liner, stone, water and plants, the size seems to shrink.
- A larger pond is much easier to maintain and keep balanced than a small one.
size of your pond may also determine the size, number and type of fish you can stock
- For example, a pond that holds less than 1,000 gallons of water is not ideal or recommended for koi fish. A koi is capable of doubling, or even tripling its size in one season. So, they will need lots of growing room.
3. LACK OF LEDGES
- Ledges inside the pond are important for pond plant placement.
- Having Pond Plants is a crucial part of your ponds filtration and eco-system.
- Pond plants help “soften” the edges of the pond as well as hiding edges from predators.
- Pond plants require different levels or depths of water: learn more here.
Are you planning to build a pond? If so, be sure to consider these 3 things; size, location and ledges - as they are very important when planning and designing that backyard pond of your dreams.
Need helping in choosing the proper pond supplies and equipment? Let Hoffman’s Water X Scapes help you. Contact us online or visit us locally, at our Uniontown Ohio location, where our pond experts can assist you.
Shop pond supplies online, visit our Education Center (that has helpful links and articles from our manufacturers) or check out our pond services – resources that are available to help your pond build go smoothly.